Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17inch tires (all else equal)?

On 7/19/2017 9:52 AM, Mad Roger wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 15:51:22 -0000 (UTC),
Mad Roger wrote:

Bigger wheel = less gasoline for a given distance and less tire wear.

I would intuitively agree with you but the two referenced articles do not
agree with our intuition.

Combined, the two articles said (for a one-inch difference)...
+ The engine delivers ~25% less driving force to the wheel contact patch
+ Which results in a decrease in acceleration & decrease in fuel economy
+ And there will be a decrease in handling (mostly in cornering)
+ And that unsprung weight goes up appreciably
+ In addition to tire air "cushioning" being reduced
+ While the overall vehicle suspension remains at the same ride height

I need to correct the summary based on a distinction trader_4 brought up
that there may or may not be an increase in overall diameter.

Since I'm not the one putting 20 inch wheels on a Honda Civic, I have to
ask here whether the general trend is to maintain the overall diameter of
the wheel-and-tire assembly, or if most people increase the overall
diameter?

Some people that increase tire size will change the gearing to
compensate. Otherwise, your shift points will change, your speedometer
will be in error.