Posted to alt.home.repair
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17 inch tires (all else equal)?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 11:06:54 -0600,
rbowman wrote:

Basically, I'm wondering why people almost universally want larger wheels,
where all I'm asking about are what the performance tradeoffs are.

Bling. This topic was beaten to death a month or two ago. When someone
says larger diameter wheels must be effective because they are used on
race cars ask them what size wheels are mandated for F1 or NASCAR and
what sort of racing they had in mind outside of the Fast & Furious
franchise.

The psychological problem I'm having with "bling" with respect to race cars
is that there seem to be zero performance benefits of larger wheels, even
for race cars.

What race car benefits from 25% less torque at the driving wheel contact
patch for example?