Posted to alt.home.repair
Mad Roger Mad Roger is offline

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17 inch tires (all else equal)?

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 13:36:23 -0400,
wrote:

I would tend to look at the drivers who over-size their wheels
and conclude that it is _not strange at all_ that the mods
are based solely on image ..

I'm having a hard time fathoming that there are zero performance benefits
from putting a one-inch larger diameter tire-and-wheel assembly.

Most things done for "looks" have a semblance in reality, I thought.

For example, low-profile tires give better steering response, so, that's
why (I presume) I see SUVs with super low profile tires (because they want
to look like a better steering vehicle).

Likewise a wing in the rear has a genesis in actual aeordynamic theory so I
understand that people want the look of a fast car (although at 60mph, a
wing is probably just for looks).

Same with dual exhaust, or a hood scoop, both of which allow the engine to
bring in and shove air out easily (which is essentially what an engine
does).

So the whole performance-look thing is a bit confusing to me.

Unlike the examples above where the look is to replicate situations where
there is actually a performance gain, if there are no performance gains to
larger wheels, then how does the *look* of larger wheels look like you get
performance gains?