Posted to sci.electronics.repair
root root is offline

Default Sansa MP3 player question

Michael Black wrote:
On Wed, 19 Jul 2017, root wrote:

I have been using different variations of the Sansa Clip mp3 players for
several years. Sansa explicitly says that of those players that accept
a micro SD card, the maximum size of the card is 32GB. However, all the
players I have bought will, in fact, accept and address 64GB when these
devices are new.

I've read that one limitation is that the firmware puts a limit on the
number of songs. I've wondered whether that means there is an absolute
limit, or if you keep file names short, you get more songs.

The device came out quite some time ago. I suspect it predates larger
memory cards, so they may have never thought they'd get so large.

I have a Sansa Fuze, the clip never broke off because there was no clip.
And I think maybe it specified some smaller memory card, maybe 16gig but
maybe smaller, simply because there was nothing larger in site when it was
released. Whether or not it can handle more is another question.

I have a 32gig and all seems fine.

One thing you might have checked was whether the player saw 64gig or just
32gig, from the start. It is possible they haven't got the extra bit.
The card works, but you never see the extra memory. That's speculation.
I have no idea why the larger cards stop working

Michael

Thanks for responding. I did check the older devices and they did
see 64G from the start, at least those that I tried.