Posted to alt.home.repair

Default What's the performance difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17inch tires (all else equal)?

On Wednesday, July 19, 2017 at 8:17:31 AM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/19/2017 2:00 AM, Mad Roger wrote:
What's the *performance* difference between 15 inch, 16 inch and 17 inch
tires (all else being equal)?

Let's say that the stock wheel is 16 inch and let's ignore sheer looks, and
the fact the speedometer will read differently, and let's ignore obvious
non-performance wheel-well fitment issue since they're obviously not
performance changes.

What *performance* changes will the one inch larger or smaller tire cause?

Basically, I'm wondering why people almost universally want larger wheels,
where all I'm asking about are what the performance tradeoffs are.

The main reason is appearance. In the late 50's auto makers went to 14"
wheels to make cars lower. Decades later, that is not as important as
big flashy wheels.

The average driver will notice little difference in everyday driving,
most cars are designed with the wheel size in mind. Larger diameter
tires will last a but longer as there is more distance per rotation.

Tire profile will also affect performance. The low profile look
sleeker, but the balloons are better on the bumps.

You will find some actual test results here
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/how...t-performance/

My old Dodge van has 15" wheels and the last time I was looking for some used tires for it I was having trouble finding them. The used tire shop owner told me they were hard to come by because all the new vehicles had 16" and 17" wheels and all he was getting in were the larger sized tires. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Wheeled Monster