Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trumble Trumble is offline

Default TIG welding question - how much heat?

On 18-Jul-17 7:19 PM, Trumble wrote:
I've never TIG welded - only amateur MIG & stick welding......

As part of an assembly process would the following be possible:

I've got a 304 stainless steel tube with some electronics embedded in
polyurethane inside it.

I want to put a 304 stainless cap on the end of the tube capable of
handling say 20 kg pulling force.

When fitted to the end of the tube the gap from the cap to the
polyurethane potting material will be 1/32"

How much heat would spot TIG'ing the cap onto the tube introduce to the
assembly?

Cool it with a damp cloth immediately after welding?

SPOT TIG HERE

\/
======================================|====\
| |==== \
| | |
POLYURETHANE POTTING | | O |
COMPOUND | | |
| |==== /
======================================|====/
^

SPOT TIG HERE

|---Tube 1/2" OD x 1/16 wall----------|-cap-|

Should I be looking at threading the cap into the end of the tube?

Many thanks for the suggestions guys.

It looks like TIG might be iffy.

Threading the cap and tube would be ideal but is a lot of mucking around
for this job which I want to keep cheep.

I like the sound of the Loctite 638. I think I'll try it out.

There's always lots of invaluable advice here, thanks again.