Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wired/Wireless

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 7:33:02 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 7/18/2017 7:02 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 4:42:22 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I've got so much to think about now ... my thanks to all who
responded . I think I'll be staying with the way I'm doing it now , but
will run cable under the house instead of stringing it up on the
interior walls to those locations that will benefit - shop will have to
be run under ground in conduit or smurf tube - and wireless for the rest
. Unfortunately the Roku's don't have a wired option so they'll have to
remain on wifi . Again , my thanks to all for the help .
--
Snag

Out of curiosity, what sort of wireless router do you have? Repositioning it can often have a dramatic effect on the signal received by the devices. I set mine up on a shelf so I'd get the best coverage and I have a little key chain WiFi signal finder that indicates relative signal strength. I could also take my laptop around the house and get a good indication of signal strength. There is a 99 cent app from Amazon that loads into an Android phone. It's pretty cool because it has a colorful visual bargraph display and makes Geiger counter clicks as it detects a signal. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/802-11b-Pocke.../dp/B003LZUQQY

https://www.amazon.com/FAQware-WiFi-.../dp/B00CNDUC6Y

[8~{} Uncle Meter Monster

It's a Linksys E1200 , and it's on a shelf about 4" from the ceiling
. I need to get me one of those signal strength things . I'm not sure if
the signal is symmetrical or lobe shaped ... I've tried rotating it with
no apparent effect but who knows , I might not have gotten the exact
orientation needed .
--
Snag

You can pick up one of the Edimax access point range extenders like I have for $25 off Amazon. It can be switched between access point and wireless bridge so it can be used in a couple of ways. You can run an Ethernet cable to the other side of the house and set it up as an access point or place it on top of a desktop computer, switch it to bridge mode and plug it into the Ethernet port on the computer and pick up the WiFi from your router. You can also plug it into an Ethernet switch while it's in bridge mode and connect a desktop and printer if it's equipped with an Ethernet port. It's the most versatile WiFi device for the money I've come across. I got mine from a discount site for $15 a few years ago. I wished I bought a few more. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-5GHz-W.../dp/B00NQ3PK9Y

[8~{} Uncle Extended Monster