Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wired/Wireless

On 7/18/2017 7:02 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 4:42:22 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
I've got so much to think about now ... my thanks to all who
responded . I think I'll be staying with the way I'm doing it now , but
will run cable under the house instead of stringing it up on the
interior walls to those locations that will benefit - shop will have to
be run under ground in conduit or smurf tube - and wireless for the rest
. Unfortunately the Roku's don't have a wired option so they'll have to
remain on wifi . Again , my thanks to all for the help .
--
Snag

Out of curiosity, what sort of wireless router do you have? Repositioning it can often have a dramatic effect on the signal received by the devices. I set mine up on a shelf so I'd get the best coverage and I have a little key chain WiFi signal finder that indicates relative signal strength. I could also take my laptop around the house and get a good indication of signal strength. There is a 99 cent app from Amazon that loads into an Android phone. It's pretty cool because it has a colorful visual bargraph display and makes Geiger counter clicks as it detects a signal. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/802-11b-Pocke.../dp/B003LZUQQY

https://www.amazon.com/FAQware-WiFi-.../dp/B00CNDUC6Y

[8~{} Uncle Meter Monster

It's a Linksys E1200 , and it's on a shelf about 4" from the ceiling
.. I need to get me one of those signal strength things . I'm not sure if
the signal is symmetrical or lobe shaped ... I've tried rotating it with
no apparent effect but who knows , I might not have gotten the exact
orientation needed .

--

Snag