Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Wired/Wireless

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 19:48:58 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 18:09:00 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 12:42:19 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 15:47:07 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 11:29:07 -0400,
wrote:

3/4" Smurf tube

Smurf tube is great stuff!

True dat. Most electricians and even some inspectors do not understand
all the things it is listed for. One thing that is good to know is the
RNC (gray PVC) connections are also listed for smurf so you can use
any PVC fittings, boxes or conduit bodies directly glued to smurf. It
can also be embedded in concrete.
One tip, when you are pushing wire through smurf, fold over the lead
wire, making a rounded tip, so it does not hang on the ridges and then
tape the rest up into a bullet. Carlon says you can actually push wire
through 720 degrees of total bend although the code still says 360
max. They have been trying to change that.

I did not know you could glue gray PVC connectors to the smurf, that
is really valuable to know.

When I have run wires in smurf and other conduits, I always leave a
piece of poly twine in the tub in case I have to pull more stuff
through it in the future. If I do, I pull another piece of twine with
the new wire.

When pulling wire through virgin conduit or smurf, I attach a fluffy
little cat toy to a piece of twine and suck it through the conduit
with a shop vac, works well for long runs.

The Carlon guys say pushing is just as effective as long as you are
strapped well in the turns so it does not belly on you. I agree
pulling always works.
The other thing most people do not know is smurf comes in a variety of
colors and sizes up to 2". It is just not going to be stocked in many
places.
I also found out the orange stuff at HD/Lowes is not the same quality
as the type ENT that is typically blue even though it may actually
cost more. After I went through my first roll I stopped using it and
went with the blue, just reidentifying it with orange tape to keep it
separated from the line voltage raceways.

All good information, thanks.