Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default Wired/Wireless

On 07/17/2017 05:19 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It turns out that the roll of "speaker wire" my friend gave me when
cleaning out his shop is actually cat5e ehtenet cabling . So , I'm faced
with a decision - I have 400 feet of this stuff , which is plenty enough
to wire my whole house for internet connections . On the other hand ,
wireless is much cleaner and easier to move computers around if we
change the layout of our furnishings . Or maybe a combination , since
some comps already have a wireless card and some don't - and the one out
in the shop has a card but signal strength is iffy at times . Not much
worry here about getting hacked , a stranger down here in The Holler
would be questioned - and the hacker would have to be in my driveway to
get any kind of signal at all so ...

--

Snag

Hi Terry,

Wired is always far more reliable than wireless.
That is, if you are good at connecting the plastic
cubes on the ends of the cables, which is an art form.

I prefer wired whenever possible.

To secure wireless, make sure you are using "WPA2" on
as you wireless security And a password of at least 12
characters.

To get your shop on wireless, a technique I use on
shopping mall sized houses to run a wire from the
router to the opposite side of the house and install
an Access Point. Make sure you install only an
access point, not a router combo unit configured as
an access point. One power hit and all hell breaks
lose when the second routers turn back into a
full router.

For access points, a home priced one would be:
TRENDnet TEW-638APB Wireless N Access Point

Check out their web site as models are always changing.

For an industrial access point, check out Watch Guard:
https://www.watchguard.com/wgrd-products/access-points
They are quite a bit more expensive than the home versions though.

-T