Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default RCA P60928 convergence

wrote in message
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 2:25:37 PM UTC-5, Ian Field wrote:
jamesgmail.com wrote in message
I need help

If its that bad - you probably need to sort out the purity first.

I didn't think RCA PIL tubes still had those.

What is a PIL tube ?

May have been a copyright dodge to avoid the Trinitron.

It was an early example of inline guns to avoid the hard work of purity and
convergence with delta gun layouts.

The phosphors were probably stripes like the Trinitron, but I think the
shadowmask had an array of staggered slots - the Trinitron shadowmask is
more like a Venetian blind.

I vaguely remember the RCA PIL tubes having bonded yokes, there may have
been purity rings on the tube neck, but purity was largely factory set.

Adjustment was much simpler with PIL tubes, and mostly done by careful
magnetics design.

A degaussing wand might help - but keep it away from the tube neck.