Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wired/Wireless

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 9:01:16 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 7/17/2017 8:44 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 19:19:57 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

It turns out that the roll of "speaker wire" my friend gave me when
cleaning out his shop is actually cat5e ehtenet cabling . So , I'm faced
with a decision - I have 400 feet of this stuff , which is plenty enough
to wire my whole house for internet connections . On the other hand ,
wireless is much cleaner and easier to move computers around if we
change the layout of our furnishings . Or maybe a combination , since
some comps already have a wireless card and some don't - and the one out
in the shop has a card but signal strength is iffy at times . Not much
worry here about getting hacked , a stranger down here in The Holler
would be questioned - and the hacker would have to be in my driveway to
get any kind of signal at all so ...
--
Snag

For me wireless is around 15Mbs Wired is 60Mbs. It depends on how
fast your provider is.

My wired connections are 100 Mb/s , wireless are 54 (15 year old
laptop) and 130 Mb/s plus . Speed is a moot point except for intranet
transfers , my ISP can only supply a max here - 12 miles from town - of
6 Mb/sec . Reliability is the main thing I need ...
--
Snag

At home I have a wireless cable modem from the cable company that has a 4 port gigabit switch builtin. Wireless speed is +25mbps and wired speed is +70mbps. I subscribe to the 60mbps service from the cable company but the speed I get is +70mbs.

My brother is on the same cable system but subscribes to the 200mbps service. He has an identical cable modem to mine and gets +25mbps wireless speed but +230mbps on his gigabit wired network. He connected a Cisco/Linksys wireless router to the gigabit network and gets +33mbps wireless speed but the router has a 4 port 10/100 switch builtin and it can't pass along the +230mbps wired network speed so he has a separate 8 port gigabit switch for the other stuff.

The verdict, hardwired is faster. \(—¦'Œ£'—¦)/

At the hospital I go to, there is a gigabit wireless network with commercial grade access points in the hallway ceilings. Those access points are quite expensive, I know, I used to install and service them. I get +100mbps wireless speeds on my laptop when I visit that hospital. I'm sure the hospital has an optical fiber network connection to their Internet service.

Here at the center, there are commercial grade gigabit wireless access points installed in the hallways and I get +60mbps wireless speed at night when things are quiet. It slows down a bit during the day when everyone is awake and connected to the network. The center has Internet service from the cable company along with the cable TV service.

Residents here at the center are only allowed one password to access the center's wireless network, I was able to talk the administrator into giving me 2 passwords but that wasn't enough for me. I setup a sub-network with an Edimax wireless bridge connected to a Cisco/Linksys wireless router that's the same model my brother has. Now I can connect any number of devices to my sub-network using one password for my wireless router. I have a magicJack Plus connected to my router so I can make and receive phone calls. That leaves me 3 Ethernet ports for connecting other things. I have an old Compaq laptop I loaded Ubuntu on and the wireless modem in it doesn't work so I plug it into an Ethernet port on the router. I have a little Lenovo stick computer that connects wirelessly along with 2 tablets, a Chromebook and a Dell laptop. For some reason cell service is poor or nonexistent in the center.. I have to roll out to the front of the complex to get a signal. The nurses and CNA's ask me for access to my sub-network so they can text and make calls on their smartphones because they can't get a cell signal in the area of the facility near my room. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

I'm using an Edimax EW-7288APC 11AC switched to bridge mode connected to a Cisco/Linksys E1500 wireless router. The Edimax unit is a very versatile device.

http://us.edimax.com/edimax/merchand...50/ew-7288apc/

https://tinyurl.com/y7dg6uad

http://www.linksys.com/us/support-ar...icleNum=135451

[8~{} Uncle Wireless Monster