Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike_Duffy Mike_Duffy is offline

Default Wired/Wireless

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 08:09:08 -0400, Art Todesco wrote:

So if you have a plethora of cat5e run it everywhere you
think you might want it and add some coax too.

If the wall awaits drywall, I would forget the 'windfall' cat5 and instead
string optical fiber instead. It would seem to have a higher probability of
future utility.

Coax would be even less likely to have a use. I am saying so directly
against my experience because I actually have & currently use coax to pass
an RF signal from a VCR which gets it from a wireless cable box to a TV in
another room. (I bought a shorthaul IR transponder to control said WiFi
cable box using a remote control in the destination room. With 3 TVs in a
house of only 2 people I could not see paying $7/mo for a 3rd cable box.)

The truly complicated part was programming the 3rd remote because the TVs
are different manufacturers, and the cable box uses the HDMI interface to
confirm that it can control the TV, and the two remotes look identical, and
you only have a few seconds for each step in the manual intended for
someone with just one remote, etc.

Plus I had to call the cable company and tell them that my wife lost remote
#2 so that they would allow me to get #3.