Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New Water Heater & a LONG Cautionary Tale

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 10:17:34 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/18/2017 9:14 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:53:02 PM UTC-4, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 07/16/2017 09:38 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

[snip]

Yes, when the battery gets low they do have an annoying chirp to get
your attention.

One SHORT chirp every minute of so. When you hear such a chirp, I may
not be easy to determine what device is doing it.

+1

In a modern house with multiple ones, it can take some time to locate
which one is beeping. My beef is I've seen new ones that are AC
wired with battery backup where the things start chirping in about
a year. I don't understand that. You would think the battery would
be there only if the AC is lost, and that the battery would last many
years. Given the choice, I'd prefer ones that are just AC.

Except when the power is out is when some people need it the most.
They bring in the charcoal grill and kerosene heater to get by.

Yes, I'm willing to live with that, because it's my house and I'm
not that stupid. But if it's a rental, etc, then I agree, there
are plenty of stupid people out there.