Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TIG welding question - how much heat?

On Tue, 18 Jul 2017 19:19:38 +0800, Trumble
wrote:

I've never TIG welded - only amateur MIG & stick welding......

As part of an assembly process would the following be possible:

I've got a 304 stainless steel tube with some electronics embedded in
polyurethane inside it.

I want to put a 304 stainless cap on the end of the tube capable of
handling say 20 kg pulling force.

When fitted to the end of the tube the gap from the cap to the
polyurethane potting material will be 1/32"

How much heat would spot TIG'ing the cap onto the tube introduce to the
assembly?

Cool it with a damp cloth immediately after welding?

SPOT TIG HERE

\/
======================================|====\
| |==== \
| | |
POLYURETHANE POTTING | | O |
COMPOUND | | |
| |==== /
======================================|====/
^

SPOT TIG HERE

|---Tube 1/2" OD x 1/16 wall----------|-cap-|

Should I be looking at threading the cap into the end of the tube?

Thread the cap. TIG is good for fine welding..but you will cook your
potting compound. You probably could do it with
tig...maybe..somewhat..perhaps..but it will take a really delicate
touch and a big shot of heat for just a half second or so. And you
will still likely cook the potting compound

---