Yasashii Arbaito

Default corian vs staron

(Saravana) wrote in message . com...
I am in the process choosing new countertops. I checked the local
kitchen sales place and they were promoting staron over corian. The
price of staron seems to be 25% less than corian but as for other
features does anyone have ideas on it? If corian and staron matched
one to one then I might have to go with staron for its price.

I don't think anyone actually addressed your question.... But it seems
Staron is essentially a clone of Corian, produced by Samsung Cheil
Industries in South Korea. Now I'm sure both DuPont and Samsung would
object to that "clone" characterization, pointing out all kinds of subtle
differences in composition, manufacturing and so on. But both are
simply acrylic resin with "mineral" inclusions, and will probably behave
about the same. Certainly there will be less variation than between
different types of commercial "granite" (which are often entirely
different stones).

Offhand, I would say Corian's advantages are in selection of colors,
finishes, accessories (like sink bowls), availability of repair materials,
and number of installers. Staron's advantage, of course, is price. It's
clear also that Samsung Cheil is working hard to expand Staron's offerings
and dealer base, to offset Corian's advantages there. So it's really
your choice.

Personally, while I think Corian-type material works well in bathrooms,
I'm not so fond of it for kitchen counters. But this subject has been
beaten to death, so I'll let it go.

--
Y.