Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Wired/Wireless

On 7/17/2017 5:19 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
It turns out that the roll of "speaker wire" my friend gave me when
cleaning out his shop is actually cat5e ehtenet cabling . So , I'm faced
with a decision - I have 400 feet of this stuff , which is plenty enough
to wire my whole house for internet connections . On the other hand ,
wireless is much cleaner and easier to move computers around if we
change the layout of our furnishings . Or maybe a combination , since
some comps already have a wireless card and some don't - and the one out
in the shop has a card but signal strength is iffy at times . Not much
worry here about getting hacked , a stranger down here in The Holler
would be questioned - and the hacker would have to be in my driveway to
get any kind of signal at all so ...

You can also use cat 5 for audio or video or other signals using
appropriate baluns. Give your situation, I'd seriously think about
running cable to everywhere such a need could someday arise, probably
more than one cable at each location, all going to a central point.