Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael[_24_] Michael[_24_] is offline

Default more important to have good performance durability or looks

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 4:47:42 PM UTC-5, Electric Comet wrote:
i like to apply a finish that will not require much care and the poly
stuff does that well and it is easy to apply

so why does anyone use finishes that require regular maintenance and
careful usage

mostly talking about tables and chairs that get regular wear and tear
but anything that might get hot or cold or wet stuff on the surface

the poly stuff looks good to me and unless it was a ornamental lacquer
piece i do not see a big difference in the looks

I've used 1/3 semi-gloss poly, 1/3 tung oil, and 1/3 BLO with good results. It offers good protection without the plastic look. But these days I most definitely prefer shellac and wax, even if it means upkeep. It's a beautiful, deep finish.