Posted to rec.woodworking
Electric Comet Electric Comet is offline

Default more important to have good performance durability or looks

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:08:08 -0400
John McGaw wrote:

To me it matters what I'm making and what it will be used for.
Low-wear pieces in an early style will not be 'right' in poly so they
usually get oil and shellac and wax. It would be like somebody saying
that they are building an exact copy of a 1921 auto and then
installing a new turbocharged 4-cylinder because it is both easier
and more efficient. Yes, it would be, but it would not be true to the
original intent.

guess it depends on who you are trying to please

guy had a stutz bearcat replica

he loved that car and it is a distinctive look and guess what percentage
of drivers could tell that it was original or replica or even cared

he enjoyed driving and that mattered

simply put it boils down to who will actually be able to tell the
difference on the coating

not many people care and the number is going more toward zero than
upward

but if you like the traditional coating and know the difference that
is what you go with