Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default New Water Heater & a LONG Cautionary Tale

On 7/16/2017 10:38 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 6:20:10 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

CO detectors have a finite lifetime and when battery goes detection
ability may be lost also. I replaced mine as well as old smoke
detectors a couple of years ago. I don't like having both type
detectors in one spot as if one starts beeping, you may not know which.

Yes, when the battery gets low they do have an annoying chirp to get
your attention.

It doesn't matter if both smoke and CO detectors are near each other,
if one goes off it's certainly going to get attention and I will be investigating what's causing the alarm.

My main reason was that two smoke detectors were in hallway in 1st and
second floor and with CO detector on 2nd floor hallway. One was
chirping and pain to figure which. All old units, nothing except chirp.
That's why I put CO detector in the bedroom.

Many years ago we had a crack in the furnace causing house to get sooted
up. We did not feel ill but had no CO detector at the time. We did
need a new furnace and a thorough house cleaning.