Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] oldschool@tubes.com is offline

Default Resistance measurements

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:30:03 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:46:36 -0400, wrote:

Ok, I guess you have meters that I've never seen.

You haven't seen any of these?
http://www.simpson260.com
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=simpson+260
These were probably the most common VOM's available. At one time, I
had about 5 of them. They've been replaced by more modern meters, but
I still keep one of them on the shelf, just in case.

Yep, I've seen several of them models. I just never owned any of them. I
generally used one of my VTVMs (Heathkit or Eico) for most in circuit
testing on tube gear. I have always been pretty satisfied with my older
Radio Shack VOMs. I blew up a few of them many years ago, but I learned
what NOT to do, and to pay attention and make sure I dont have the meter
on the ohms scale when I measure voltages.

I also have a GB Instruments model GMT-19A VOM sitting right next to me,
that I use for darn near everything, and it's held up well for many
years.

I am not real fond of digital meters. I find them confusing, since they
tend to pick up stray voltages and they also take awhile to "settle" on
a reading. I have some of them, and I use them for some things, but my
analog meter are usually the first ones I grab.

Seeing those Simpson meters makes me want to look for one to buy though.
Just seems there should be one on my bench.......