Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Resistance measurements

Jon Elson wrote:

-----------------

I have some older DMMs. I get odd resistance readings the first time I set
it to Ohms scale. By wiggling the plugs on the probes at the meter end, and
occasionally working the range selector dial around a few times, I get a
stable Ohms reading of about 0.4 Ohms with the probes shorted. Then, I get
more sensible readings on circuits. So, these meters get poor contact on
the range selector switch and the bannana jacks. So, that is one thing to
check for.

** A little WD40 or similar will fix that in seconds.

A short squirt under the edge of the switch followed by a few complete rotations is all you do. Clean up any excess.

Wet a cloth to do the 4mm plugs and a cotton bud to do the sockets.

...... Phil