Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default buried conduit for electrical work, some questions.

Larry Jaques on Sun, 16 Jul 2017
07:08:47 -0700 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Somewhere near where the second I in the sentence "I wish I
could..." is the origin of the power conduit which goes to the shed on
the right. I'll be moving that trench - not as much as I though, and
then running something from that shed over to the west shed - its
about 17 feet gap.

Tips for digging. Water or flood the area well, then wait exactly 36
hours before digging. The water will have had time to soak in and
disperse, preventing mud digging. And it will not have had time to
reharden on the surface. Digging in gravel is a bitch on a good day.

Use a digging bar and the narrowest shovel you have, like a transplant
spade.

Got one of those when I realized, using a flat shovel to uncover a
shallow conduit requires way too much work. (as opposed to "just a lot
of work")
Got a mattock, don't want to use that. Considering hiring the job
done. (Greatest labor saving device known to man is "Having someone
else do it.")

Third option - don't try and dig it all at once. Take a break
from doing X to dig a foot or two of trench.

A pick mattock can dig and shovel the stuff out of the way.
Or, if you have access to a power auger, use it to soften everything
and just shovel it out of the way when the time comes.

An idea too. As I look at the space, I realize "I got mucking
large piles of 'stuff' in the way!" Gonna have to move that too. "Who
had this brilliant idea?" Oh yeah, me. and we're doing it in summer,
before the rains return. Right - mustn't forget The Rains.

I've done a lot of digging in the past ten years, and the water tip is
the best thing I can pass on to my friends. I also recommend that you
bury -anything- a couple inches deeper than a shovel head (9-10", so
dig a foot).

That "transplant spade" seems about right. But I have a section
of yard which is going to get lowered, so - more digging.
--
pyotr filipivich