Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin' Norman Stormin' Norman is offline

Default Flame Weeding: Why Not Burn Them Until They're Gone?

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:18:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 5:58:46 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:11:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Neither of which are an issue in a space like this:

http://tinyurl.com/Burn-The-Weeds

I have two 80ft tall Canary Island date palms that drop a ton of dates
and, now that I have eradicated the gophers (basically) and since none
of our dogs are interested in eating the dates any longer, I get
hundreds of palm seedlings popping up.

I have given serious consideration to buying a weeding torch and
giving it a try. I have a lot of mulch in the area, and I am somewhat
concerned about collateral fire. Might be best to wait until the hot
weather is over and be sure someone is standing by with a hose.

My style of a weeding torch is the Harbor Freight version of the tool used
in the following video. I also use a small torch head on a 16.4 oz tank
when I need some finesse.

At about 5 minutes into this video you will see that he uses the torch in an
area with wood chip mulch. That is basically what I have around my picnic
table although mine has broken down more than his. The "wood" portion is
now finer and it's more of a mulch consistency. The flame is never applied
to any given spot long enough to start a fire and actually blows away anything
that doesn't have roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993nkdFshQU

I was also thinking about an HF torch.

I believe you are located in a climate that gets much more rain than
where I am. We are very dry most of the year and we get some very
wicked wildfires, so much so that we installed rooftop sprinklers, on
top of the structures, which are equipped to deliver retardant in
addition to water and, I acquired a fire hose water pump so we can use
the water in the pool if needed to fight fire.

Al that said, I like the idea of the torch for the palm seedlings, I
will pick one up the next time I am over that way.