Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default What's Your Definition Of "Traditional Techniques"?

Hmmm!? Traditional craftsman - one who uses what tools and skills he has to do the best job he can do.... on the particular project.

To me, traditional means putting one's heart and soul into one's work. It's the person's work. Production (mass production), to me, lacks that personal effort, pride, etc., to show a particular person's work, hence lacks "tradition" (historical sense?) of any kind.

And, if I can include, I like to think some of my old salvaged wood has the character and history that lends itself to my idea of "traditional sense and work". I kinna give it a human quality, in that, it has survived this long, intact, so it needs to be respected by becoming a good/better/best (different?) project.... and I try to make it so.

Traditional technique is a person's personal effort, not the result of the tools used, whether new or old tools. And I'm speaking of good quality work....

**** poor sloppy work can be traditional for some folks, like for one or two of my nephews, despite my efforts to try to coach them otherwise.

Sonny