Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Flame Weeding: Why Not Burn Them Until They're Gone?

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 5:58:46 PM UTC-4, Stormin' Norman wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 14:11:46 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Neither of which are an issue in a space like this:

http://tinyurl.com/Burn-The-Weeds

I have two 80ft tall Canary Island date palms that drop a ton of dates
and, now that I have eradicated the gophers (basically) and since none
of our dogs are interested in eating the dates any longer, I get
hundreds of palm seedlings popping up.

I have given serious consideration to buying a weeding torch and
giving it a try. I have a lot of mulch in the area, and I am somewhat
concerned about collateral fire. Might be best to wait until the hot
weather is over and be sure someone is standing by with a hose.

My style of a weeding torch is the Harbor Freight version of the tool used
in the following video. I also use a small torch head on a 16.4 oz tank
when I need some finesse.

At about 5 minutes into this video you will see that he uses the torch in an
area with wood chip mulch. That is basically what I have around my picnic
table although mine has broken down more than his. The "wood" portion is
now finer and it's more of a mulch consistency. The flame is never applied
to any given spot long enough to start a fire and actually blows away anything
that doesn't have roots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=993nkdFshQU