Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Resistance measurements

In article ,
says...

The Simpson 260 VOM used a single D cells and a 15V battery (Eveready
417) for the Rx10K range. Later models switched to a 9V battery and
then to 4ea AA batteries. The Triplett 630 used a single D cell and a
30V (Eveready 413).

Ok, I guess you have meters that I've never seen. I have to wonder why
they need such high voltage to measure resistance. However, I would not
use those meters on modern circuits if I owned them.

My analog meters are all older Radio Shack meters, which I have owned
for many years. All (except the mini), have two AA batteries.

I also have a few VTVM's. I am not sure what they output, so I dont use
them on any solid state devices. But they are well suited for tube gear,
and can handle the high voltages in tube gear, which a lot of the
battery operated portable VOM's cant handle.

Radio Shack tells all. Anyone that says old school should have heard of
and maybe used the Simpson or Tripplit meter. Don't recall the number
of the Triplett as I only used one in school over 40 years ago.

The RS meters may have a meter of around 30 uA and the others have 50 uA
meters. It takes more voltage to operate them in the higher resistance
ranges. I don't know what the RS meters have for full scale of the
resistance ranges, but it may not be as much.

Even the Free HF meter I have says it will do 1000 VDC and 700 VAC. Not
too much common tube equipment has voltages over that, unless much
higher and special HV probes are needed. I think my old Heathkit VTVM
may do 1500 Volts. Have not had it out in years except to give it a
check a year or two ago to see if it still works.