Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default New Water Heater & a LONG Cautionary Tale

On 7/16/2017 5:24 PM, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

To be honest, I rarely, rarely, rarely go in the basement as I have
nothing down there but the furnace and the water heater. I called
Friday morning to my local natural gas company and the price they
quoted me for a new water heater was exorbitant. I should have
known to not call them as last time I needed a new water heater
they were higher than any plumber but I was hoping since I am a
customer I might get a little price break.

Fifty years ago you'd have been right. Gas company not only gave a good
price but it was added to your monthly bill. Those days are gone.

I had a plumber to come install a new 50 gallon water heater and
while he was there he saw the pipe for exhaust fumes from the
furnace had several large holes in it. He told me to NOT turn on
my furnace until that pipe was replaced.

He comes back with my new water heater and new vent pipe for the
furnace as well! The purpose of this post is warn people to go
into their basements a couple times a year just to make sure
pipes, water lines, duct work, etc. all look ok. Don't be a
dummy like me, you might not wake up one morning.

This is totally believable. If everything is working right, no
incentive to really go looking. Tsk, tsk on no CO detector though.
These days they are cheap enough that everyone should have one unless
you are in an all electric house.