Posted to alt.home.repair
Taxed and Spent Taxed and Spent is offline

Default No cash accepted

On 2017-07-16, Taxed and Spent wrote:
In California an employer cannot require an employee to have direct deposit.

I would not work for a company that required direct deposit.

So I guess you won't be getting Social Security either.

I've had direct deposit for 35 years. Never missed a pay on time.

Back when direct deposit was a new thing, I went to payroll and they
asked how much $ I wanted deposited and the rest would be on the payroll
check. I said I wanted 100% deposited. They said they couldn't do
percentages. Since my paycheck varied, I wrote down that I wanted
$10,000.00 per pay period direct deposited. She looked askance, checked
the records a couple of times and said "you don't make nearly that
much!" So, I asked what would happen. And she said my direct deposit
could not exceed my earnings. So I said "yeah, 100%". She was a bit
perplexed, said it wouldn't work, and I said I am not changing my
instructions. She said "you may not get your paycheck if there is an
error." I said "well, let's just find out, shall we?"

Worked like a charm. Not sure she ever got it into her head, though. I
think back then the concept of somebody directly depositing the entire
paycheck meant you were not going to spend any of it, at least any time
soon.