Posted to rec.woodworking
Casper Casper is offline

Default more important to have good performance durability or looks

Ed Pawlowski was heard to mutter:
A few years back someone posted a method to use poly and make it look
like a quality finish. I've done it and it works well.

Apply a thinned coat
Apply two mre full strength sanding between
Wait four weeks for it to cure
Wet sand with 320 grit
Rub with pumice
Rub with rottenstone
Wax

Some info he
http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/rub.htm

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...tone-or-pumice
---

This method sound interesting. Would you happen to have any photos of
a piece finished in this method?

I'm not partial to poly. I've used it a fair amount, especially on
desks that get a lot of use. I currently have a few polyed pieces and,
over time, they don't look as good anymore. Poly is also rather
annoying to get right. I've fought many times with dust and bubbles.

The 'thinned' coat in your method has me thinking. I may have to try
this, at least on a test piece, to see how it comes out in comparison
to the other things I have polyed. Thanks for the tip.

`Casper

---
http://www.avg.com