Andrew Sarangan

Default Power connections for stove

I am replacing an old stove. There is 220V power, but there is no
outlet on the wall behind the stove. The wires (encased in a flexible
metal conduit) were coming from under the floor, and they were
directly attached to the old stove. The sales person at Lowes told me
that that is no longer allowed by code, and that I have to install an
outlet and then use 3-prong plug to attach the stove to it. Can anyone
verify that? The old stove was a 'drop-in' kind, but the new one is a
floor unit, if that makes any difference to the situation.