Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching bare spots in the yard for Dummies

On 7/14/17 11:52 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 07/14/2017 08:47 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Same here. Whatever grows is fine unless the name includes the
words puncture or thistle.

Puncture as in goat-head thorns? I was first exposed to that crap in
Utah. I wound up cutting bicycle tire patches in quarters to try to hold
enough air to make it back a mile of so to my truck.

I'm not in love with thistles but at least they're pretty and don't turn
into caltrops.

Yeah, this stuff:
http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74128.html

Another article says this:
Chemicals. A mixture of one pound of sodium chlorate in four
gallons of water or the same amount of ammonium sulfamate used as a
drenching spray will kill puncture vine plants, but will not kill the
seed. If such a spray is to be used, the application should be made when
the first plants are in bloom.
Plants with mature burs and viable seed may be sprayed with 1 to 1Yz
gallons per square rod of Diesel oil, any light fuel or crude oil, waste
cylinder oil, or crank case drainings that can be sprayed satisfactorily
as a mist. Such oils will kill both plants and seeds of puncture vine