Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 18:57:42 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 18:27:41 -0700 (PDT),
"Simple. My Vauxhaull Firenza was apec'd at -1 degree camber. I think
it was actually closer to -1.5 Had NO tire wear issues with the
oversized tires installed on it for over 7 years

"A Renault R16 was specc'd at +1 to -3.66
If it was set at +1 on trhe left and -3.66 on the right it would
"technically" be within spec, but would be turning very tight tight
turns as soon as you took your hands off the wheel.
Properly set up at about -2 on each side, it would corner like a
fiend, carving corners like a knife, and holding on to the road as if
it had claws. "

And being 'in spec', a lot of alignment places
would send the car out the door that way, and
if the customer came back, they'd say 'It's in
spec' even though the car was doing f'king
doughnuts. (facepalm!)

Sorry, for some reason while reading
through your earlier post I confused
your car with the Renault.

What is the camber range on
your Firenza?

IIRC it was + 1/2 to - 1 1/2 - not sure, but I believe we had it set
at -1. It's been gone for a LONG time now.
I never owned an R16, but rallyed an R12 for 3 punishing seasons.