Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ABLE1[_3_] ABLE1[_3_] is offline

Default Cap Leakage

Hello all,

I have a sound amplifier board with what looks like some 25v 220mfd
radial capacitors that appear to have leaked some of the electrolyte on
to the board. The board is easily 20+ years old.

One of the IC chips that is in the area appears to have some corrosion
on the pins.

If someone would be so kind to answer my questions they are as follows:

Is the electrolyte some kind of acid base??

Will washing the board with contact cleaner properly clean
and or neutralize the effects??

I plan on replacing the bad capacitors but want to be sure I am
not missing something. I don't want to replace the chip unless
it is damaged in some way.

Thanks for any hints or tip on this matter.

Have a good day.

Les