Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default buried conduit for electrical work, some questions.

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 12:29:43 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
news

I am moving a shed. Disassembling it, making new foundation,
reassembling it, with additions. Going from 10x10 to 10x16. The
thrills are overwhelming.

But - moving the power. Sooner or later, it has to be done. The
wall the conduit comes up in is going to get moved six feet.
Currently the plastic conduit is buried about four to five inches
deep
[Code says 18" for plastic, six inches for Metal.] and snakes
through
the area where the future bathroom will add on. Might as well move
it
now.
"No problem" - save that I want to run power to/from the shed
from/to the shop. Which sits on the old graveled parking area. I
so
do not want to dig through gravel.

The question comes with tapping one way or the other. Let us say
I go with plan A: about 20 feet of trench to the shop, route the
old
line to the shed, run conduit up the outside up and through the
wall.
Stick a box on the inside, and the shop is powered. Rah. Then cut
15' trench over to the shed and use the shed's existing (but
relocated) access to reconnect it . (Plan B is connect the shed
first, then the shop)
The main issue is: where do I tap the line to power the shed?
Inside the box inside the shop? On the outside of the shop wall?
Or
do I put a tee of some sort underground and mark it well ("Under
this
rock is the junction box.")?

Any suggestions? My regular "All things electrical" guy is out to
lunch - er just got married. So he's a little distracted these
days.

tschus
pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich.
Discussing the decline in the US's tech edge, James Niccol once

---
http://www.avg.com

You won't regret having the box above ground! I know it's a pain
BUT...it's a good excuse for the use of explosives.

"Handhole Enclosures" for buried wiring junctions:
http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/catalogs/enclosures/U-104.pdf

-jsw

Those work..assuming the connections are WELL waterproofed and there
is a good deep layer of gravel under them for drainage. For Pyotr's
application..Id bring the splice above ground..above water level. And
those enclosures are a tidy bit of money. Ive installed quite a number
of them over the years...security, phone/communications etc etc.

Hell...bring up both pieces of conduit..make the splice, seal well
with RTV and GOOD tape, and slide a 3' section of gray PVC pipe and a
end cap over both conduits. Easy to get on, easy to get off and scraps
are easy to find. Hit it with Krylon paint for plastic in ones choice
of colors and voila! $20 at most for a life time of security.

Gunner

---