Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside edge of front tires stairstepping

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 13:05:08 -0400, wrote:

On Thu, 13 Jul 2017 03:00:47 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

Micky wrote: "If caster has a range of 2 to 4 and camber 5 to 7, that doesn't mean
that you can put caster at 2 and camber at 7 and everything is even
moderately acceptable, aiui.

The range refers to one value at a time, that if the caster has a range
of 2 to 4 and you have it set at 1.9, that's bad in itself, regardless
of what the other values are. (Maybe in some special situations a
skilled aligner can safely go outside the range, I don't know one way or
the other, but my point is made in the paragraph above, which I think
you think would be acceptable.)"

If caster has a range of 2 to 4 degrees then I would
aim for the middle of that range, just as I would
with the other specs. In this case, 3degrees. I
prefer a little more centering force, so I'd set
a little on the high side, but still in range. 3.2 or
so.

5 to 7 degrees camber??? Those tires'd be
practically laying on their sides! lmao. Most
cars have half to one degree of camber either
way.

Renault R16 spec was range of 1.66 tp -3.66
My Firenza ran -1.0

Say front to specs are -0.05 to +0.10. 0.03
deg. would be the middle of that range.
NOT zero, as I see too many techs aiming
for. You want static toe, which should
result in 0deg toe - straight ahead - when
vehicle is moving. Unless something is
worn or bent.

neg camber causes the wheels to try yo toe out, so a bit of toe-in
makes them run straight. pos camber causes them to try to toe in - so
a bit of toe out makes them run straight. There ARE other factors - of
course.

Just thought of another possibility - is thaT MACHINE EQUIPPED WITH
RACK AD PINION STEERING? Make sure the mountings are tight and the
bushings are not worn?