Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused[_4_] Unquestionably Confused[_4_] is offline

Default Water heater t&p

On 7/13/2017 7:14 PM, Pauschl wrote:
A guy from our city gas told my wife this T&P line needs to go down. I
just
need to run it directly to where it enters the wall, without going up,
correct? Also, the other photo shows where the line exits the house. As you
can see, it is crimped and broken off. Is this OK?
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/9v
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/9w

No it certainly is NOT okay that the end is crimped. Further, I
strongly suspect that it's probably contrary to code to reduce the T&P
relief line down to that size (ΒΌ" or 3/8"? Whatever)

If that T&P Relief valve lets loose and the water cannot escape, you
might just as well have sealed off the T&P valve with a plug.

As for the direction of the piping, it should not make any difference
which way it goes since if it kicks in and must transport water away
from the water heater, it will be under pressure (tremendous pressure at
that). As to what the plumbing code might say, well, that's another story.