Speedy Jim

Default Pipe to put tub spout on is too big

zjw wrote:

Hello. I need to replace my tub spout and bought a new one at a home
depot. The only ones I ever see at the store are to fit 1/2 inch
(around) pipes. Of course, when I take off my old spout, it seems
that the pipe is 1 inch or more around. Where can I get a spout to
fit this? I've looked on the internet and can't seem to find one. Is
there a way to put some type of converter on mine to convert it from 1
inch to 1/2 inch? Thanks.

Pipe trade size is measured inside (roughly), not by the outside
diameter.

1/2" trade size iron/brass pipe is .84" OD.
3/4" trade size is 1.05" OD.
1" trade size is 1.315" OD.

Tub spouts come in both 1/2" and 3/4" sizes.
Many come with a bushing which allows use
on either size pipe.

You'll have to determine if the length of the existing
nipple will accomodate a std spout length.

Go here to see what's available:
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/tubspouts.html

Jim