houseslave

Default Questions on siding over asbestos shingles

A good paint job could past you 25 years and you will not have to deal with
any of the headaches or expense you're now looking at. Who cares if your
house doesn't look exactly like the neighbors...
"Brent Barkow" wrote in message
om...
The house we're buying is one of the last ones in the neighborhood
that hasn't had the siding updated, so I'd like some tips on siding
over the asbestos shingles. Here's what I was thinking - please tell
me where I'm wrong (there will be plenty of opportunity, I'm sure).

My first thought was to go directly over the asbestos siding with
vertical sheets of board-and-batten type T1-11. Would I need a
moisture barrier underneath the T1-11?

My other thought was to cover the asbestos siding with 1/4 inch
plywood, then go back with a lap siding. Moisture barrier?

What else should I look at that is INEXPENSIVE other than vinyl?

Also, how will the added thickness of the siding affect the windows
and doors? Do they need to be removed back to the rough opening and
then reinstalled after the siding is on?

Dumb questions, I know. I haven't done any siding before, but I really
want to do this myself. Sweat equity is a wonderful thing if the job
is done right.

Thanks,
Brent