Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lights dim with swamp cooler.

On 2017-07-12, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 7:41:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Do you have a way to measure the current drawn by the motor? If you
can measure the current , you can put some oil filled capacitors in
parallel with the motor and find a combination that minimises the
current.

Thanks Dan,

Using a watt-meter thingy, on Low it draws about 5.1-A and on High
6.3-A. I say "about" as it fluctuates up/down by 0.1-A or so.

So a digital readout -- common for the LSD (Least Significant
Digit) to display some uncertainty.

Is this by any chance a Kill-a-Watt?

During the start, it very briefly shows 16-A or 17-A but there could
be a little over-swing in that too. It comes and goes in the blink of an
eye, sometimes I don't even see it at all.

Without a physical meter needle, it is unlikely that there will
be overshoot, and it is more likely that it will be a bit lower than the
actual peak value.

So what do I actually need to do with the caps? I have some oil-filled
start caps around the place somewhere.

Well ... if the actual high current peak is that brief, it may
be that compensating just the run winding will help. No need for a
separate compensation cap setup for the start winding.

Just connect them in parallel with the AC into the motor, and
adjust for minimum running current by adding values in parallel until
you get the lowest value.

This is the motor.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dial-Steel-...-Motor/1016109

Kind of skimpy information. Yes, complete copper windings, but
perhaps not enough iron in the core. How much does it weigh? That is a
good quick way to compare motors of the same horsepower rating.

And there is no suggestion that it could be re-wired for 240 VAC
instead of 120 VAC, which as someone else suggested, would reduce the
current drain -- as I did with the 1.5 HP motor on my 12" lathe.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail