Posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair
Paul in Houston TX[_2_] Paul in Houston TX[_2_] is offline

Default How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

micky wrote:
I've convened this multi-disciplinary forum, becuase this is a
multi-faceted problem.

How to remove CD's from broken auto CD changer?

I have a 2000 Toyota Solara with a factory AM-FM-CD changer, all in the
dash, not the trunk.

It worked fine until about 2014, with 6 cd's in it, a full load, but
then I got Err 2, or Err n, and eventually I took the radio out, opened
the cover and fiddled with it and when back it the car, it worked again.

A year later, same problem, same solution. Only put in 3 cds

A year later, same problem but pushing buttons at the same time or
while something else was happening fixed it. only put in 2 cds.

A year later, even though I probably have 3 cds in it, the little icons,
one for each cd that is loaded, no longer appear, and pushing the CD
button causes nothing at all to happen. No error, no nothing.

Bought a new car (a 2004 Sebring) with, almost by chance, a cassette and
external CD changer (but right under the radio) so now before I sell the
other car, I want my CD's out of there.

Took it out, took off the cover, barely any access, only as big as two
regular postage stamps, which enables me to turn the top CD in one
direction but not the other. Can't seem to get either side off. Can't
remember exactly how I fiddled the first two times, put it back in car,
still dead.

Any suggestions?

If it were my car I would take it out of the car, shake it, turn upside
down, etc., then apply 12v power to the appropriate wires and see if
it ejects. If not then I would take it apart. Take photos of
the disassembly at each important step.