Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve[_79_] Steve[_79_] is offline

Default more important to have good performance durability or looks

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 5:47:42 PM UTC-4, Electric Comet wrote:
i like to apply a finish that will not require much care and the poly
stuff does that well and it is easy to apply

so why does anyone use finishes that require regular maintenance and
careful usage

mostly talking about tables and chairs that get regular wear and tear
but anything that might get hot or cold or wet stuff on the surface

the poly stuff looks good to me and unless it was a ornamental lacquer
piece i do not see a big difference in the looks

Great Question.

To me, a lot of the quality of "do I want to have to do this again" depends upon the amount of prep to get to that point and the look that I'm trying to achieve on that particular piece.

Poly, to have it stick well and look good (Adhesion, dust free, etc.) can generally require quite a bit of work, and then, if you REALLY like a Poly, then you may REALLY like a poly high gloss, too... in which case it requires a frequent touch up.

My answer to your question is durability. But, I choose my coats for RELATIVE durability:

If it's a bar top, epoxy;
Floor, I go with poly or lacquer if it's a 'dressed down' or a traditional home.
Most of my typical, 'not much water contact' furniture, I do in Watco or Formsby Tung Oil Finish-- yes, I said the finish. It's a little harder, and buffs beautifully. Low sheen for me on these pieces.

Wall paneling (or trim, or natural wainscot) can't look any better, in my opinion, than sealed with with a shellac coat-- amber if a traditional look is desired or it's an old home. Conversely, a clear with light aniline dye tint if not.

I don't have to say this, but obviously Mineral Oil on high-traffic, food contact pieces... again simply for the ease and frequency of recoats as much as for the edible/potable nature of the coat.

All of the finishes I mentioned, with the exception of the epoxy bar top, are MUCH easier to prep and to reapply, with varying levels of necessity depending on the workpiece, than a Poly.

RELATIVE durability is my reply.