Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default more important to have good performance durability or looks

On 7/12/2017 3:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/12/2017 11:08 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 7/11/2017 5:47 PM, Electric Comet wrote:
i like to apply a finish that will not require much care and the poly
stuff does that well and it is easy to apply

so why does anyone use finishes that require regular maintenance and
careful usage

mostly talking about tables and chairs that get regular wear and tear
but anything that might get hot or cold or wet stuff on the surface

the poly stuff looks good to me and unless it was a ornamental lacquer
piece i do not see a big difference in the looks

To me it matters what I'm making and what it will be used for.
Low-wear pieces in an early style will not be 'right' in poly so they
usually get oil and shellac and wax. It would be like somebody saying
that they are building an exact copy of a 1921 auto and then
installing a new turbocharged 4-cylinder because it is both easier and
more efficient. Yes, it wuld be, but it would not be true to the
original intent.

Poly alone has a place but not for fine furniture. Kids bookcase, toys,
etc.

A few years back someone posted a method to use poly and make it look
like a quality finish. I've done it and it works well.

Apply a thinned coat
Apply two mre full strength sanding between
Wait four weeks for it to cure
Wet sand with 320 grit
Rub with pumice
Rub with rottenstone
Wax

Some info he
http://antiquerestorers.com/Articles/SAL/rub.htm

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fi...tone-or-pumice

Or use a gel poly varnish. A great "adult" finish.