Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lights dim with swamp cooler.

Dave, I can't do that wrote:

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 7:41:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Do you have a way to measure the current drawn by the motor? If you can
measure the current , you can put some oil filled capacitors in parallel
with the motor and find a combination that minimises the current.

Thanks Dan,

Using a watt-meter thingy, on Low it draws about 5.1-A and on High 6.3-A.
I say "about" as it fluctuates up/down by 0.1-A or so.

During the start, it very briefly shows 16-A or 17-A but there could be a
little over-swing in that too. It comes and goes in the blink of an eye,
sometimes I don't even see it at all.

Well, if you still get the dip at other outlets when the cooler is wried
into the breaker panel, you may have copper creep on the terminals in the
panel or the meter box. That is dangerous stuff to work on, so you might
want to have an electrician do it (capability to deliver high fault
currents).

I have re-torqued the clamp screws on the breakers where the branch circuit
wires connect, so you can try doing that. I have occasionally found some of
these to be quite loose.

Jon