Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor[_2_] Pete Keillor[_2_] is offline

Default Lights dim with swamp cooler.

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:47:11 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
Thanks Guys,

The power drop sometimes scrambled the tiny-brain of an Arduino
temp-sensor I have running from the same outlet. It still does the
same to the Temp sensor if I plug it into another outlet. I have some
10K-electro-caps coming for the Arduino 5vdc line, so that should stop
that.

Other than that, the dimming is annoying to some members of the
household.

==================

Do you have large resistive loads like space heaters, toasters or
coffee pots that you could use to trace the steady-state drop? The
problem might be the cable connections in the panel or the meter box.

I had a problem with a poor connection to neutral, which caused the
two 'phases' to unbalance when a motor started. Some lights dimmed,
others flashed brighter. The power company cured it by replacing the
meter box and weatherhead cable. They knew the old aluminum splices
tended to corrode.

-jsw

I recently had to replace the entire breaker panel at the beach condo.
The original aluminum bus bars were corroded, and burned on some high
amp breakers. We had several appliance board failures before we
figured it out. It was also exacerbated by voltage swings due to the
utility replacing all the feeders down the island.

The original breaker panel had paint and texture sprayed on the
interior, and had probably been soaked in salt water during Ike
because the original builder not only went cheap on the panels, but
some of the patio soffits were sheetrock instead of hardie board,
causing disintegration and much wind blown water damage to all units.
The new ones are copper.

Pete Keillor