Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that Dave, I can't do that is offline

Default Lights dim with swamp cooler.

On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 7:41:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Do you have a way to measure the current drawn by the motor? If you can measure the current , you can put some oil filled capacitors in parallel with the motor and find a combination that minimises the current.

Thanks Dan,

Using a watt-meter thingy, on Low it draws about 5.1-A and on High 6.3-A. I say "about" as it fluctuates up/down by 0.1-A or so.

During the start, it very briefly shows 16-A or 17-A but there could be a little over-swing in that too. It comes and goes in the blink of an eye, sometimes I don't even see it at all.

So what do I actually need to do with the caps? I have some oil-filled start caps around the place somewhere.

This is the motor.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dial-Steel-...-Motor/1016109