Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bending 5 foot dia circles of 1/2 or 3/4 EMT pipe

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 02:18:02 GMT, brian
wrote:

replying to Larry Jaques, brian wrote:
Hi Larry,
Tubing bender is just two expensive for fabrication just a few (as little as
2) hoops.

True, but if you did buy one, you'd have another =tool=. scritch,
scritch, scritch

Don't discount the possibility of selling extras, though.

Just yesterday I found a contractor friend who says he has a hand
conduit bender i can borrow. I figure I can just make small incremental bends
and get my circular hoops. Now I just have to figure out how to calculate
those incremental bends to get my 5 foot hoop.

Conduit is cheap, so trial and error isn't too prohibitive. Make a
pattern so you can physically lay the bent tube on it to compare? Did
you ask the electrician? Perhaps ask on an electrical newsgroup. One
of the many math wizards here should be able to give you a tip.

Good luck getting the spacing right. That would seem harder than the
diameter to me.

How will you fasten the track to it, on plywood screwed to the tubing?

If you google "model railroad helix" you will see imagines of what I am
looking to build,...but an alternative method/materials.

OK, cool. I favor the more open models, and the inverted cone or
stadium style with the smaller lower diameters and larger uppers.

--
The door of opportunity is marked "PUSH".
--anon