Posted to rec.woodworking

Default more important to have good performance durability or looks

Electric Comet wrote in newsk3gqi$5pl$3
@dont-email.me:

i like to apply a finish that will not require much care and the poly
stuff does that well and it is easy to apply

so why does anyone use finishes that require regular maintenance and
careful usage

mostly talking about tables and chairs that get regular wear and tear
but anything that might get hot or cold or wet stuff on the surface

the poly stuff looks good to me and unless it was a ornamental lacquer
piece i do not see a big difference in the looks

Why I use shellac:
- Don't have to clean the brush after use. (Do have to clean the brush
before use, though.)
- Polyurethane reeks.
- The wood is ready for the second coat just about the time I get done
applying the second one.
- The wood will feel so naturally warm and soft when coated with shellac
and rubbed with wax and steel wool.
- No "someone's been finishing" smell after just a few minutes.
- The finish really serves to enhance the wood--not create an
impenetrable barrier.
- The smell is quite a bit better, not that it smells good by any means.
- Easy to thin with denatured alcohol. Apparently 99% Isopropyl will
work too, but I usually only have 70% in easy reach.

Puckdropper