Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lights dim with swamp cooler.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2017 14:40:03 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi, we recently installed a window version of a swamp cooler. As such, it plugs into a wall outlet in the lounge-room. It has a new 1/3-hp (252-Watt) two speed motor from HomeDepot.

When it turns on either in Low or High, the voltage dips for almost a second from 125vac to 117vac then back up to 125vac. The dimming is maybe 20% longer for the High speed.

What do the house lights do when you plug in a 1500W heater in that
outlet? Same thing, but worse? (reading on, never mind with this)

Is there some way we can soft-start this or what? It makes the lights dim in the house for that short period.

If you used LED or CFL lighting, you wouldn't see that.

Before anyone launches into "house wiring," etc rest assured it is 11-years old, copper, in metal conduits and all up to code with 200-Amp coming into the house.

14ga copper, right? Not the largest.

I used a 14g, 3-wire extension lead in a bunch of other outlets on different circuits and still get the same issue. I then hard wired the extension into the main breaker panel. Same again.

That little motor is drawing a whopper of a current during startup, it
seems. Inductive current draw is normal with motors.

Check with your electric company. Mine recently replaced the drop to
my house because it was old and worn and improperly terminated on the
house. If you have a feed with half the copper strands broken from
age, it -will- cause the drop you see, even at the breaker box. The
electric company usually pays for all wiring up to the meter/box.

I have cleaned and oiled the fan bearings, adjusted the belt and the fan turns quite freely by hand.

What can be done to alleviate this momentary voltage drop?

Unplug swamp cooler, R&R house. snort

--
The door of opportunity is marked "PUSH".
--anon