HeatMan

Default Questions on siding over asbestos shingles

I would advise against T1-11. Not only does it look bad but it rots
quickly. I would also stay away from vinyl siding. It makes the house
look like plastic. Also, if you have a problem 5 years from now with a
leak or something it can be a big problem if you need to get under
that stuff. For me there was the original redwood siding underneath
the asbestos. If I were you I would check out Hardi siding. It is a
composite cement siding that looks like wood. It comes in several
different profiles and comes with something like a 75 year warranty. I
built a shed out of it a few years ago and it was cheaper than T1-11.

My house was built in 1972 with the T111 sheets and I haven't had a problem
with it. Like other siding out there, you DO have to care for it, caulking
and painting as necessary.

I built my shed out of T111 because I liked the look of it.